Lemon Cooler cookies come together quickly and have a sweet/citrus meltaway texture!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus 2 cups more for rolling
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 rounded tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the egg yolk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Mixture might look a little curdled, which is normal.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the flour, mixing until a thick dough comes together. It might seem a little crumbly, but this is ok as long as it holds together for the next step. If the dough is too dry add a splash more of lemon juice.
- Scoop out dough using a small cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons). Roll the dough into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart. The cookies won’t spread much while baking.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown.6
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then place remaining powdered sugar in a small bowl. Roll each warm cookie in powdered sugar and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
*always use the spoon and sweep method for measuring flour.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 7 days. Freeze airtight for up to 30 days for best freshness.
Keywords: cookies and cups, lemon cookies, lemon recipe, cookie recipe