makes 25 krispie treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 8 cups krispie cereal
- 1 (4 serving) box of lemon pudding mix/pie filling (not instant)
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp water
- Line a 9×9 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
- In large saucepan melt butter over medium low heat. Add in the marshmallows, stirring constantly until melted. Stir in dry pudding mix. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in krispie cereal.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan and press evenly. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Bring 2/3 cup sugar, water and corn syrup to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Bring up to 230° using a candy thermometer. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile beat egg whites and remaining 2 Tbsp sugar with whisk attachment in stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- When sugar mixture has come to temperature remove from heat immediately and slowly pour into egg whites by drizzling down the side of the bowl while beating mixture over medium speed. Once all the sugar syrup is incorporated, turn mixer up to high and beat for 7 minutes.
- Frosting will be glossy and thick.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled krispies and using a torch brown the top. If you don’t own a torch place under broiler for 30 seconds, watching closely not to burn.
best if served same day.