These mini apple pies are easy to make in a muffin tin! They’re a bite-sized spin on a classic fall dessert, bursting with juicy apple pie filling and warm spices.
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pre-made pie dough rounds (14-ounces, total for 2) or use my homemade pie crust recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced apples, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir together until the apples are evenly coated and set aside.
- Roll the pie dough onto a clean counter, until it’s approximately 1/8- inch thick (about 11- inches in diameter). Using a large biscuit cutter, or round cookie cutter (3 1/2- inches in diameter) cut out 12 circles of dough. Save the scraps to use for your lattice topping. You will have the exact right amount of dough remaining.
- Press the rounds into each muffin tin and up the sides.
- Distribute the apples evenly between all the pies. I like a heaping mound of apples in each, because they shrink as they bake, so heaping them into the cups makes sure your mini pies are full of apples.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough and using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into small strips slightly longer than the diameter of the pies. Lay out the lattice crust on top of the apple filling and gently press the edge of the strips down to secure.
- Bake the pies for 18 – 22 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the pies to cool for 10 – 15 minutes before running a butter knife around the edges to release and then gently transfer them to a wire rack or serving dish.
- Serve warm or room temperature with ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel sauce.
- If using store bought pie dough you will need 1 (14- ounce) package of dough, which will be 2 round pie dough.
- Crumble topping: You can also skip the lattice topping and make a simple crumble topping instead, which is also delicious.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of salted butter, melted, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, and 2/3 cup all purpose flour. Mix together and squeeze into larger crumb pieces with your hands. Evenly divide this among the pies and bake as directed.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: mini apple pies, mini pies, mini apple pie recipe