These hot dogs dipped in sweet cornmeal batter, otherwise known as corn dogs, are perfect for a fun appetizer or snack! Homemade Mini Corn Dogs are always a hit with kids and adults alike.
- 1 (14- ounce) package Cocktail Wieners (Lit’l Smokies)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (not stone ground)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- Line a plate with a paper towel. Place the cocktail wieners on the paper towel and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the milk, egg, and honey. Add the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir until combined.
- In a heavy bottomed pot or a Dutch Oven, heat the oil until it reaches 350°F.
- When the oil is hot, working in small batches, dip each cocktail wiener in the batter using a fork tapping the excess off. (Alternatively, you can use a toothpick to dip into the batter and fry with the toothpick inserted) Carefully place each wiener into the hot oil and cook until golden brown on all sides, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the corn dogs from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining cocktail wieners.
- Serve warm.
- Another Frying Technique: Instead of using a fork to dip the cocktail wieners, you can use a toothpick to dip them into the batter, frying them with the toothpick inserted.
- Check the Oil Temperature: We don’t want the oil to get much hotter than 350 degrees F, so having a thermometer on hand to check the temperature is always a good idea.
- Pat the Hot Dogs Dry: If you don’t dry off the cocktail wieners before starting, the batter will have a tough time sticking to them.
- What if the Batter Still isn’t Sticking? You may want to lightly coat your cocktail wieners in flour if the batter is not sticking to them.
- Storage: Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place in a preheated 375°F oven for 5 minutes, or until crispy and warm. Or reheat in the air fryer.
Keywords: corn dogs, homemade corn dogs