- 1 cup butter, melted and browned
- 3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg, plus one yolk
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- To brown the butter – melt your butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Once melted, continue to cook, swirling pan constantly until the butter reaches a deep golden color. Remove from heat immediately and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium skillet toast your coconut flakes over medium heat until lightly golden, stirring frequently. Once they begin to golden in color watch carefully as they will burn quickly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar on low speed until mixed evenly. Alternately you don’t have to use a stand mixer, you can use a large bowl and wooden spoon.
- With the mixer still on low combine the egg, the yolk and vanilla, mixing until evenly incorporated.
- Add in baking powder and salt until combined and then finally the flour, stirring until mixed in.
- Stir in chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes they are just set.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
If you prefer a thicker bar, you can bake these in a 9×9 or 8×8 pan. Cooking time might need to be increased slightly.
Store airtight for up to 3 days.
Keywords: blondies, recipe, brown butter, coconut, toasted coconut, chocolate chips