This Perfect Vanilla Cake Recipe is very easy, with just a few important tricks to make it buttery, and soft and moist!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2, 8 or 9- inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Cut two pieces of parchment paper into 9- inch circles. Place the rounds in the bottoms of the pans. Coat again with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add in the oil, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt, and continue mixing for an additional minute until smooth and combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and in alternating portions add in the buttermilk and flour, beginning and ending with flour. Mix for 30 seconds, until combined and smooth, again, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour half of the cake batter into each prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the center of the cakes are set, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, and then remove the cakes and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Frost the cake with your desired frosting. I used my Perfect Buttercream Frosting in the pictures and video for this recipe.
If you’re making ahead, wrap the cakes tightly in cling wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternately you can wrap the cakes in cling wrap, then place them each in a large zip-top bag and freeze for up to a month.
Keywords:: best vanilla cake recipe, perfect vanilla cake recipe, moist vanilla cake