Creamy, cheesy, and SO much flavor! This is an easy and delicious weeknight meal!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Boil pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is boiling melt 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add in the flour and stir to combine for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and milk, mixing until smooth. Add in the grated cheddar cheese, stirring constantly until smooth, and thick, about 7 minutes. Add in the pesto and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce, and stir to coat.
- Pour the pasta into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Sprinkle this on top of the pasta.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and the breadcrumbs are toasted and golden.
- Serve immediately.
store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat single servings in microwave.
Keywords: creamy pesto pasta, pesto mac and cheese