This Pink Lemonade Chiffon Cake is super easy to make and so soft! The cake is topped with a pink lemonade buttercream frosting that’s insanely delicious!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs, separated with whites reserved
- 3/4 cup pink lemonade
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- *pink food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup pink lemonade
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- *pink food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray 3, 8″ cake pans generously with baking spray, set aside
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix on low speed flour, sugar baking powder and salt together until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the egg yolks, oil, pink lemonade and 2-3 drops of food coloring if desired. Beat mixture on medium high for 3 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, will take a few minutes.
- Fold egg whites into the cake batter and divide equally into the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until centers spring back to touch.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar and pink lemonade, alternating back and forth until everything is mixed in.
- Add in the zest and 1-2 drops of food coloring, if desired. Mix until creamy and desired consistency is reached. Feel free to add more powdered sugar or lemonade to get desired consistency. *Hint, the more pink lemonade you add, the more the frosting will appear “curdled”, so to amp up the tartness, if desired, add more zest.
- Spread the frosting on the layers and the outside of the cake.
recipe adapted from Southern Living
To achieve the frosting technique I got here I crumb coated the whole cake and then divided the frosting into thirds coloring one section slightly darker, the next a little lighter and didn’t add coloring to the last bit. I used an off-set spatula and started with the darker color on the bottom, adding the middle color next and finishing the top with the lightest color. I blended it all together with my large off-set spatula.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 819
- Sugar: 101.8 g
- Sodium: 231.1 mg
- Fat: 34.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 126.6 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 138.5 mg
Keywords: lemonade cake, lemonade cake recipe, pink lemonade recipe, chiffon cake, chiffon cake recipe, lemon cake recipe, lemon frosting recipe, lemon dessert