- 1 box brownies, prepared according to package directions (or you can use your own homemade recipe)
- 6 Tbsp butter, cut into cubes or slices
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- Bake brownies according to package directions. in a 9×9 for a thicker brownie or in a 9×13 for a thinner one.
- Allow brownies to cool for at least an hour.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, cream, brown sugar and salt over medium heat. Heat mixture until it comes to a boil, stirring frequently. Once it comes to a boil, allow it to boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Immediately add vanilla and powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Finally, stir in nuts.
- Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes and then pour over brownies.
- Let pecan topping set up for at least 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares when ready to serve.
recipe slightly adapted from Betty Crocker
If you make your brownies in a 9×13 pan the topping will be a thinner layer than what I have photographed. I made my brownies in an 8×8 pan.