This Rolo Cake is decadent, delicious, and the best piece of cake that will ever enter your mouth. Made with Rolos and milk chocolate caramel frosting, this easy cake recipe should be your go-to for birthdays and more!
- 18 oz milk chocolate chips (about 3 cups)
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 sticks room temperature unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Pour your chocolate chips into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine water and granulated sugar on medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes until it turns an amber color.
- When mixture reaches amber color turn heat down to medium low and slowly pour in your heavy cream. Stir continuously until it incorporated and smooth.
- Pour caramel mixture over your chocolate in the bowl.
- Stir until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Place bowl in refrigerator for an hour, until chocolate is cooled. I stirred mine a few times within the hour, to help it cool evenly.
- When chocolate is cooled, remove from fridge and mix with a hand mixer until the chocolate becomes a spreadable consistency. Don’t over-mix at this point.
- Add in you butter and beat until frosting is smooth. Place frosting back in refrigerator at least another hour, or overnight.
- Let frosting come back to room temperature when ready to frost cake.
I made the frosting the night before I made the cake, since there is some chilling time necessary.
recipe adapted from epicurious
Keywords:: rolo cake recipe, how to make a rolo cake, milk chocolate frosting recipe, caramel frosting recipe, milk chocolate caramel frosting, how to make milk chocolate caramel frosting, best birthday cake recipes, easy frosting recipe, how to make chocolate frosting, chocolate frosting recipe