makes 24 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp root beer extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups root beer
Ice Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners
- Beat butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and extracts and continue mixing for 1 more minute, scraping down sides as necessary.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, all spice and cinnamon.
- Turn mixer to low and add half the dry mixture and half the root beer, stirring until combined, repeat with remaining dry mixture and root beer until combined.
- Fill lined muffin tins about 2/3 full (approx 1/4 cup batter) and bake 15-17 minutes until centers are set.
- Cool on wire rack completely before frosting.
- In stand mixture cream butter and shortening together until smooth. Add in 1/2 cup softened ice cream and mix until combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- When all powdered sugar is incorporated turn mixer up to medium and beat for 30 seconds.
- If necessary, add more ice cream 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. But remember not to add too much ice cream, as when it comes up to room temperature it could make your frosting too soft.
- *optional ~ drizzle cupcakes with root beer or chocolate syrup, if desired and decorate with a straw cut in half.