Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole is a lot like King Ranch Chicken my mom used to make growing up, but easier…especially if you make your chicken in advance.
- 2 cups salsa verde chicken (or shredded Rotisserie Chicken)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 –3 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar/jack blend)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, sour cream, Rotel, cumin, cayenne and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bottom of a 4 quart or (8×8) baking dish. Top that with 4 corn tortillas. You can rip the tortillas to fit if necessary. They can overlap.
- Spread half of the remaining chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Top that with 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat this with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 25 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the casserole to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving warm.
If you don’t have the pre-made Salsa Verde Chicken just sub in 2 cups of shredded Rotisserie Chicken mixed with 1/3 cup of salsa verde.
adapted from Taste of Home
Keywords:: chicken casserole, chicken casserole recipes, leftover chicken dinner idea, easy chicken casserole recipes, mexican chicken casserole