Leftover dinners are the best dinners. Earlier in the week I made a big batch of Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken, which is great because it will feed us all week usually! This Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole is one of the easiest dishes and one that I love. It’s a lot like King Ranch Chicken my mom used to make growing up, but a little easier…especially if you make your chicken in advance).
You’ll need 2 cups of the Salsa Verde Chicken. If you want to make this and haven’t made the chicken yet, you can easily use 2 cups of shredded Rotisserie chicken mixed with 1/3 cup salsa verde.
Mix the chicken with a can of Rotel, sour cream, and some seasonings…
You will build your casserole with layers of chicken, corn tortillas and grated cheese!
Just bake it up for 25 minutes and you’ll get a cheesy Tex-Mex casserole.
Love this stuff!
Like I said make a big batch of your Salsa Verde Chicken on Monday and use it throughout the week!Print
- 2 cups salsa verde chicken (or shredded Rotisserie Chicken)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 –3 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar/jack blend)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, sour cream, Rotel, cumin, cayenne and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bottom of a 4 quart or (8×8) baking dish. Top that with 4 corn tortillas. You can rip the tortillas to fit if necessary. They can overlap.
- Spread half of the remaining chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Top that with 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat this with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 25 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the casserole to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving warm.
If you don’t have the pre-made Salsa Verde Chicken just sub in 2 cups of shredded Rotisserie Chicken mixed with 1/3 cup of salsa verde.
adapted from Taste of Home