Zesty and spicy Salsa Verde Chicken is one of my favorite Instant Pot chicken recipes! This tasty shredded chicken with salsa is a versatile and flavorful meal that everyone loves. Perfect to make in the slow cooker, too!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken with Salsa Verde Sauce
Chicken is one of my favorite ingredients for easy weeknight meals. It’s so versatile! Ever since I learned the ins-and-outs of my Instant Pot, I’ve been cooking up some crazy-delicious chicken dinners.
This quick recipe for tender and juicy, shredded chicken breast combined with flavorful Mexican tomatillo salsa is one of them. Zesty and spicy, Salsa Verde Chicken is ready in minutes thanks to the Instant Pot and can be served tons of different ways. This makes it hugely helpful on busy nights! Plus, it’s great for leftovers.
What is Salsa Verde?
Salsa verde is a Mexican green salsa made from tomatillos. A tomatillo looks a bit like a green tomato and is also in the nightshade family, and often comes covered in a husk. To make salsa verde, the tomatillos are roasted and then blended with other ingredients like cilantro and jalapeno into a peppery, piquant sauce.
For this recipe, I usually use jarred salsa as it cuts down on the prep work. However, if you do have the time, fresh salsa verde is actually easy to make at home! And it only takes three steps:
- Assemble 1 ½ pounds of tomatillos, along with a half cup of chopped onion, half cup of cilantro, a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lime juice, and 2 jalapenos.
- Cook your tomatillos by broiling or roasting them in the oven for a few minutes until lightly browned and blistered.
- Toss the smoky tomatillos and other ingredients into a food processor and blend until everything is nicely chopped and combined. Season with salt and store your homemade salsa verde in the fridge!
One of the many reasons I love Mexican cooking is because it often calls for such simple ingredients, that come together with so much flavor! Here’s all you will need for this easy Instant Pot salsa chicken:
- Boneless Chicken Breasts: Or thighs, as both cuts work for shredded chicken.
- Seasoning: Cumin, paprika, and kosher salt for extra smoky flavor.
- Salsa Verde: Either homemade (see above) or store bought. You can blend chopped cilantro into jarred salsa verde if the one you have doesn’t include it already.
How to Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Verde
This recipe took me just 25 minutes! That’s it! A bit of prep and a short stint in the pressure cooker is all that stands between you and this perfect, fall-apart, tender chicken. It honestly couldn’t be any easier! Here’s what you do:
Add the Ingredients: In your Instant Pot, combine the chicken breast, seasonings, and salsa verde.
Cook: Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, then quick release and remove the lid.
Shred: Shred the chicken and stir it through the sauce to really let it soak up all the flavor.
Can I Use the Slow Cooker Instead?
The beauty of the Instant Pot is that it’s both a slow cooker or pressure cooker all in one. I use the pressure cooker option whenever I’m short on time, however, this recipe is just as delicious when made using a slow cooker method!
To make salsa verde chicken in the slow cooker, follow the recipe as directed and then leave it to cook for 6-7 hours on low, or 4 hours on high before shredding and serving.
Tips for Success
- Know Your Pressure Cooker: Not all pressure cookers are the same, and the times and settings can vary! If you buy the Instant Pot, it’s a good idea to thoroughly read the instructions even if you’re familiar with pressure cooking. There was a bit of a learning curve for me, but now it’s a breeze!
- Let the Pressure Build: The steam will need to build up inside the Instant Pot before it will begin pressure cooking the chicken. It may seem like nothing is happening at the start, but give it a few minutes to fill up!
You can use this shredded chicken verde recipe in so many ways! Serve it over a bed of rice with a sprinkle of cheese and chopped cilantro for a quick and tasty meal. It’s also wonderful in recipes like this Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole as an easy weeknight dinner!
Here are other ways to enjoy this flavorful salsa verde chicken:
- Chicken Burritos: Stuff your salsa verde chicken into warm tortillas with shredded cheese, refried beans and a dollop of guacamole.
- Chicken Tacos: The possibilities here are endless. Go crazy with fixings like avocado, diced bell peppers, green onions, and more!
- Quesadillas: Use shredded chicken as a filling between layers of cheese.
- Enchiladas: This easy Instant Pot chicken is perfect for savory Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas.
- Taquitos: Salsa verde chicken and melted cheese wrapped in a crispy tortilla? Yes please.
- Burrito bowls: Fill a bowl with shredded chicken, Mexican rice and black beans. Top with diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, plus some jalapenos for good measure!
These suggestions are really the tip of the Instant Pot salsa verde chicken iceberg! Have you tried this recipe in more ways? Share your ideas and successes in the comments!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Let your chicken come to room temperature and then refrigerate it in an air-tight container for up to 4-5 days.
My favorite way to reheat salsa verde chicken is on the stovetop. Scoop a single portion into a small pan and then warm it over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is heated through, and then serve! A microwave will also do the trick if you prefer.
Can I Freeze This?
You can make this chicken recipe into an easy freezer meal! Place the cooled shredded salsa verde chicken into a freezer bag or freezer-safe container, and store frozen for up to 3-4 months. Thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight before reheating and serving.
More Flavorful Chicken Recipes
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Juicy Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Piccata
This Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken is packed with flavor and super easy to prepare for weeknight dinners! If you’re looking for a versatile and easy chicken recipe that everyone will love, this is it.
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- Place all the ingredients in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Set cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure and shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Slow Cooker option:
Prepare as instructed and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or on high heat for 4 hours.
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 1186.2 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
- Protein: 43.9 g
- Cholesterol: 132.4 mg
Keywords: instant pot salsa chicken, instant pot chicken recipes, easy chicken dinner ideas
Want To Save This Recipe?
This post contains an amazon affiliate link. I was not sponsored by Instant Pot for this pot, but if you do buy it via my link I will earn a few extra dollars. Thanks!