I make this easy Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole using my Salsa Verde Chicken, to rave reviews each time! A deliciously creamy and cheesy Mexican chicken casserole that’s great for entertaining. This recipe is filled with the bold flavors of salsa verde, green chilies, and shredded cheese!
Table of Contents
Cheesy Mexican-Style Chicken Casserole
Whenever I make a batch of my crazy-versatile Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken, this easy casserole recipe isn’t far behind! This dinner idea is one of my easiest dishes to make and one that I love. It brings to mind the Texas King Ranch Chicken my mom used to make us when I was growing up. This version with salsa verde is just as quick to make, and just as delicious!
You love the layers of shredded chicken in this cheesy, creamy casserole recipe. It’s a perfect family meal that’s mild enough to be a kid-friendly dinner, while still packing in loads of vibrant, Mexican-inspired flavor to keep the grown-ups interested.
What You’ll Need
Simplicity is key when it comes to this easy Mexican chicken casserole. It only calls for a few common ingredients:
- Shredded Chicken: I use my easy Salsa Verde Chicken recipe. It’s perfect for this recipe, and so many others! As a quick alternative in a pinch, you can use 2 cups of shredded Rotisserie chicken mixed with 1/3 cup salsa verde.
- Rotel: Or canned green chilis.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream brings all the creaminess to this casserole with a nice hint of tang.
- Ground Spices: Cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Corn Tortillas: Soft corn tortillas for layering between the creamy salsa verde chicken.
- Shredded Cheese: I love a blend of Cheddar/Monterey Jack as the cheese layer for this casserole. The best combination and perfectly melty!
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
Prepare the Chicken Mixture: Mix together the shredded salsa verde chicken, Rotel, sour cream and seasonings until well combined.
Assemble the Casserole: Spread a layer of the creamy shredded chicken into the bottom of a baking dish, followed by a layer of corn tortillas. Feel free to cut or rip the tortillas, or overlap them to fit as needed! Follow this with another layer of chicken mixture, then cheese, and repeat.
Bake: Bake your Tex-Mex casserole until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Let it sit for a few minutes once it’s out of the oven, then serve warm!
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
This dish is easy to prepare up to eight hours in advance. Just assemble the layers in the baking dish, and then keep it covered in the fridge until it’s time to bake. You can also keep the cooked casserole in the fridge for up to 4 days, or even freeze it! See the section later on for more storing tips.
Tips for Success
- For Larger Batches: Use a larger baking dish or use two 9×13 baking dishes if you’ll be scaling up the recipe, and keep the ingredients proportionate. Too much chicken versus tortilla will make a soggy mess!
- Don’t Over Bake: Since the chicken in this recipe is already pre-cooked, avoid letting the casserole overbake as the chicken can get dry. Make sure the oven is fully preheated, too, so that the casserole bakes evenly.
- Allow the Casserole to Set: Casseroles tend to be piping hot when they’re fresh out of the oven. It’s important to leave a few minutes of resting time before serving, so the casserole can cool and set up a bit for slicing.
There are many ways you can update this recipe to include your favorite ingredients! Think of it as Taco Tuesday in casserole form. Here are some add-in ideas for your salsa verde chicken casserole:
- Topped with avocado slices or guacamole
- Plain Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream)
- Diced bell peppers
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Sweet corn kernels
- Black beans (rinsed and drained) or refried beans
- Fresh cilantro
You can serve this salsa verde chicken casserole topped with garnishes like cilantro, diced or sliced tomatoes, avocado, and even an extra dollop of salsa verde. It’s perfect to pair with your favorite rice dishes, or with roasted potatoes or vegetables!
Here are some suggestions for other flavorful dishes to serve with your casserole:
- Easy Burrito Bowls
- Southwestern Cobb Salad
- Chipotle Meatballs
- Roasted Veggie Nachos
- Carne Asada Fries
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover salsa verde chicken casserole will keep for up to 4 days when stored airtight in the fridge. Reheat in the oven on low until the casserole is heated through and bubbling once more.
Does This Casserole Freeze Well?
For longer storage, this chicken casserole will keep frozen for up to 1-2 months! Assemble the casserole as usual, and then store it in the freezer wrapped tightly in plastic wrap with an extra layer of foil. Allow the casserole to thaw in the fridge and then bake. You can give the top an extra sprinkle of cheese before baking, to refresh it a little!
More Mexican-Inspired Dinner Ideas
- Easy Skillet Tamale Pie
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Beergarita Pulled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Taco Truck Chili
- Easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
This Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole is a deliciously creamy and cheesy chicken recipe, great for entertaining! An easy Mexican chicken casserole filled with the bold flavors of salsa verde, green chilies and sharp shredded cheese.
- 2 cups salsa verde chicken (or shredded Rotisserie Chicken)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 –3 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar/jack blend)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, sour cream, Rotel, cumin, cayenne and salt. Stir to combine.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bottom of a 4 quart or (8×8) baking dish. Top that with 4 corn tortillas. You can rip the tortillas to fit if necessary. They can overlap.
- Spread half of the remaining chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Top that with 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat this with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 25 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the casserole to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving warm.
If you don’t have the pre-made Salsa Verde Chicken just sub in 2 cups of shredded Rotisserie Chicken mixed with 1/3 cup of salsa verde.
adapted from Taste of Home
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 862.4 mg
- Fat: 18.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Protein: 26.2 g
- Cholesterol: 77.1 mg
Keywords: mexican chicken casserole, easy casserole, leftover chicken recipes