Your childhood dreams just came true with this Strawberry Pop Tart Cake! Soft vanilla cake filled with strawberry jam, topped with sweet buttercream and garnished with Strawberry Pop Tart pieces!
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup spreadable strawberry jam
- Sliced Strawberry Pop Tarts
- 1/4 cup strawberry jem
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2, 8- inch round pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottoms of each pan with a parchment round, cut to fit the pans. Spray the pans again and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment mix your butter and sugar together for 4-5 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating portions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then flip out onto a wore rack to continue cooling.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter on medium speed until smooth. Turn the mixer speed down to low and add in 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and salt until combined.
- With mixer still on low add in the vanilla and milk, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix for 1 minute until fluffy. If you prefer a stiffer frosting add in the 1/2 cup more powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- When you’re ready to assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake stand or plate. Top the cake with frosting and smooth it out to the edges.
- Spread the strawberry jam on top of the frosting, leaving about an inch at the edge of the cake. Top the jam with the other layer and spread a light layer of frosting on the cake, also referred to as a “crumb coat”. Allow that to sit for a few minutes and then frost the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Top with your cut Pop Tarts and squeeze a little extra jam on top for garnish. I used a zip-top bag with the corner cut off. Decorate with sprinkles.
Keywords:: strawberry cake recipe, strawberry cake recipe from scratch, strawberry cake recipe scratch, easy strawberry cake recipe, homemade strawberry cake, strawberry cake from scratch, best cake recipe