These Sweet and Salty Brownies will finally end your search for the ultimate fudgy brownie recipe. A simple homemade salted caramel is baked right into the brownies, leaving them extra rich and decadent. A sprinkle of flaked sea salt on top is the perfect garnish!
Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 12 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- optional – 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt for garnish
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water, stirring together. Cook on medium high heat until candy thermometer reads 350°F OR until mixture turns a dark amber color, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream (it will bubble up) and the sea salt. Whisk in the sour cream and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 pan with foil or parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Over a double boiler melt together the dark chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in both the sugars until combined.
- Next whisk in eggs and vanilla until JUST combined.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula. Mix until just incorporated.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan.
- Drizzle 3/4 cup of the caramel on top of the brownie batter. Gently spread the caramel over the brownie batter with an offset spatula about, leaving about an inch at the edges to prevent the caramel from burning on the edges of the brownies. Pour the remaining batter over the caramel and spread evenly making sure it covers the caramel layer. Drizzle 1/4 cup caramel on top and lightly swirl into the batter. *See note.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the centers are set and toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Sprinkle brownies immediately with flaked sea salt, if desired.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting.
You don’t have to drizzle 1/4 cup on top of the brownies, feel free to save this for a bowl of ice cream. I like to use the extra to give them a swirled top, but it’s completely option. If you add more than 1/4 cup on top the brownies will be too gooey and never completely set up.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days, or airtight refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Keywords:: best brownies recipe, easy brownies recipe, homemade brownies recipe, brownies recipe from scratch, fudgy brownies recipe, fudgy brownies, caramel brownies, salted caramel recipe