These easy waffles are the ultimate classic crispy outside and a soft inside waffle recipe!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Heat your waffle iron and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set this aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla, brown sugar and oil.
- In alternating additions add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk into the bowl with the egg yolk mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat the reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter until just combined.
- Scoop 3/4 cup of the batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Serve immediately
To turn these into whole wheat waffles, replace 1 cup of the all purpose flour with 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Combining the all purpose with the whole wheat flour makes a nice textured waffle with a bit of a nutty flavor.
Keywords:: waffles, waffle recipe, buttermilk waffles, classic waffles, buttermilk, maple syrup