Baked golden in butter, these heavenly Butter Swim Biscuits are soft and moist with crispy edges. The ultimate buttermilk biscuit recipe!
- 1/2 cup salted butter, plus 2 tablespoons additional melted butter for pouring on top of the batter
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 9×9 pan. Turn the oven to preheat to 450°F. Place the pan in the oven as it preheats allowing the butter to melt and the pan to heat up. *see note
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the buttermilk and using a wooden spoon, stir together to combine. A sticky dough will form.
- Remove the pan from the oven when the butter has melted and spread the dough on top of the melted butter in the pan. Use the spoon or a spatula to evenly spread the dough out to the sides of the pan. Cover the top of the batter with additional melted butter, this helps the top bake up golden.
- Using a knife cut the raw dough into 9 biscuits before baking. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 18 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Watch the butter in the oven carefully. If you get sidetracked while making the biscuit dough the butter can burn. You only need it to be melted. Alternately, you can melt the butter separately and pour into the pan without preheating the pan.
- Best served warm.
- You can also bake these in an 8×8 pan for a thicker biscuit. Follow the instructions as written but increase the bake time to 20 – 23 minutes.
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, butter biscuits, homemade buttermilk biscuits