This tender and buttery Buttermilk Sheet Cake is topped with creamy vanilla frosting that literally melts into the cake! A perfect easy dessert idea for parties!
For the Buttermilk Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Coat an 11×17 rimmed baking sheet with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the butter and water until combined. Next whisk in the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to begin cooling and immediately make the frosting.
- In another large bowl whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until no lumps remain. Pour immediately onto the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool before serving.
Keywords: buttermilk cake, easy cake recipes, desserts for a crowd