This Buttermilk Sheet cake is insanely tender and buttery, plus is a breeze to make with no mixer required. Your friends will be begging you for the recipe!
Some recipes are just TOO good. I mean it. This is one of those.
It’s a SUPER simple Buttermilk sheet cake, you don’t need a mixer to make it, it’s ridiculously tender and there won’t be a slice left. That’s a for real guarantee.
My kiddo made this one pretty much on his own.
We take cake making very seriously around here…
The batter takes just a few minutes to whisk together.
And you bake it and then ogle at how gorgeous it is, even BEFORE the frosting. I mean really.
But yeah, there needs to be frosting. It’s not an option.
This is a simple butter icing that gets poured onto the warm cake.
It’s almost indecent…
Just spread it on…
And then wait for it to cool to serve.
Or don’t wait. I won’t tell.
People. Friends. Plant-mates.
MAKE THIS CAKE.
The slices are thin, like a sheet cake should be. If you would like to bake this in a 9×13 you’ll need to decrease the oven temperature to 350° and increase the bake time to about 20 minutes!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Coat an 11×17 rimmed baking sheet with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk in the butter and water until combined. Next whisk in the eggs, vanilla and buttermilk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to begin cooling and immediately make the frosting.
- In another large bowl whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until no lumps remain. Pour immediately onto the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool before serving.
Want To Save This Recipe?
Helpful Tip… Out of buttermilk?