This Nutella Crunch Cake is really easy, crazy moist and topped with an irresistible crunchy Nutella topping that is good enough to snack on alone!
We never get tired of Nutella around here. Or cake. Or Rice Krispies. Or sweetened condensed milk.
So basically today’s cake is all our favorite things in one place. Isn’t it fun when life works out?
And another great thing about this cake is that it’s a sheet cake…which is my most favorite kind of cake to make. Ain’t nobody got time to be icing all the layers, fussing with an annoying crumb coat, or praying to Jesus that the top layer isn’t crooked.
A sheet cake is forgiving. A sheet cake won’t judge. A sheet cake is the cake equivalent to Jenny from the Block. It’s just another girl in a velour track suit trying to keep it real…
At a party no one is scared to cut into a sheet cake… because you know as well as I do if a person who didn’t BAKE the layer cake goes in and decides to slice it…well, somebody’s ’bout to get cut.
You see, anyone can slice a sheet cake. It’s not a whole THING. It’s just sitting there telling people not to be fooled by the rocks that I got.
And this Nutella Crunch Cake is almost IMPOSSIBLE to mess up. Not only does it start with a cake mix… it’s covered in a silky layer of Nutella and sweetened condensed milk. THEN it’s topped with a ridiculously easy Nutella Crunch, which just so happens to be good enough to eat on it’s own.
To make the crunch you start by lightly toasting hazelnuts…
Then melt some semi-sweet chocolate with butter and Nutella and mix in some Rice Krispie cereal.
Let it set up in the freezer. You can actually make this way in advance.
As for the cake you doctor up a cake mix with a few extra ingredients and bake it up. Once it’s done poke holes all up in the top and pour a simple mixture of sweetened condensed milk and Nutella on top.
Sprinkle your crunch mix evenly all over everything and let the cake marinate in it’s Nutella-ness for a bit.
Then you should definitely have a slice. I’ve heard that even if you take a sheet cake to a party with a piece missing no one will care.
Sheet Cakes for president!
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 3 ounces chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 4 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 chocolate cake mix (prepared according to package directions with the following ingredients added)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (3-4 ounce package) instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread your hazelnuts evenly onto the pan.
- Bake the hazelnuts for 6 minutes until lightly golden in color. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool, saving the lined pan for later use.
- Combine the chopped chocolate and the butter in a large heat safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds increments, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Add in the Nutella and stir until smooth and finally the hazelnuts and the cereal, coating it int he chocolate mixture.
- Spread the mixture out on the parchment lined pan and freeze it until it’s set, about 15 minutes. This can be made up to a few days in advance.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Prepare the chocolate cake according to the package directions but add in the additional egg, ¼ cup water, dry chocolate pudding mix and ½ cup Nutella. Using your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds and then turn mixer up to medium and mix for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted int he center comes out clean.
- When the cake is done remove it from the oven and in a medium heat safe bowl combine the sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup Nutella. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and stir until it’s combined and smooth. Using a knife poke holes all over the top of the cake while it’s still very warm. Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture all over the cake evenly.
- Allow this to sit for 10 minutes and then top with the Crunch mixture. Allow the cake to chill for at least an hour before serving.
store airtight for up to 3 days refrigerated. I like to let the cake come up to room temperature before serving.
Want To Save This Recipe?