- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole milk. plus 1 tablespoon more for brushing.
- Mini chips to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl cut together the cream cheese and the butter using a pastry cutter or a fork until it’s mostly mixed together. It will be very sticky.
- Add in the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. Continue cutting the mixture together until combined evenly. Mixture will be crumbly.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, vanilla and 1/4 cup milk.
- Pour the milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture and using a wooden spoon stir the dough together. You can use your hands as well to help combine, if necessary. Dough will be stiff.
- Lightly dust a clean counter with flour and turn the dough onto the counter, kneading just until the dough comes together. Note that scone dough is more on the dry side, but should stick together. If it doesn’t add 1 teaspoon more of milk at a time until it holds.
- Form the dough into a round disk, about 1-inch thick. If desired press mini chocolate chips into the top of the dough and then brush with remaining 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife cut the dough into 10 wedges.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until lightly golden and the tops are set.
- Remove from the pan from the oven.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk and drizzle on top.
- Serve warm.