This decadent Cookies and Cream Cake takes your favorite sandwich cookie and turns it into a luxurious layer cake! Rich chocolate cake is paired with a fluffy buttercream frosting and topped with Oreo cookies.
For the Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup room temp butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup veg. shortening (Crisco)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted approx
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 30 Oreos, crushed (2/3 of pack)
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease cake pans with butter and line bottoms with parchment rounds. Butter the parchment and flour entire pan, dusting off excess.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy (approx 3-4 min) on medium-high speed. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt). In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, coffee and sour cream.
- On low speed, add in alternating thirds beginning with buttermilk and ending with flour. Scrape down sides when necessary. Mix until just incorporated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until center is set.
- Cool layers in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans.
For the Buttercream
- On medium-high speed in a stand mixer, beat the butter and shortening until smooth (approx 4 min).
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides when necessary.
- Add the cream and vanilla and beat at medium speed until it reaches the consistency you like, adding more cream if you’d prefer.
- Set aside 2 cups of plain buttercream. Now on low speed, combine the crushed Oreos into the frosting until they are mixed in thoroughly.
- When the cake layers are completely cooled, cut each in half to make 4 layers. Layer the cake with the Oreo buttercream.
Keywords: cookies and cream cake, oreo cake, chocolate cake vanilla frosting