Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies are soft, cakey sandwich cookies bursting with fresh blueberries, filled with a lemon cream cheese frosting. Summer in a cookie!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2- ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla, lemon zest, salt, and baking powder and mix for 1 more minute until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour and buttermilk in alternating portions beginning and ending with the flour until just combined.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Using a medium (2- tablespoon) sized cookie scoop drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2- inches apart. Bake for -10 minutes until the cookies are set.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Filling: In the clean bowl of your stand mixer fitted with either the paddle or whisk attachment, mix the butter and cream cheese together on medium speed until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add in the lemon zest and the powdered sugar and mix for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium and mix until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spread or pipe 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the bottom-side of half the cookies. Press the remaining cookies on top, creating sandwiches.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, whoopie pie, lemon, blueberry, sandwich cookie, cookie recipe