Black and White Cookies are a classic New York City bakery staple! And now you can make them at home – soft, cake-like vanilla cookies with the perfect, tender crumb. Topped with sweet and glossy, half vanilla and half chocolate icing, these cookies are the best of both worlds!
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in the flour and buttermilk in alternating portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined and smooth.
- Using a large cookie scoop (3- tablespoon sized) portion out the dough onto the prepared baking sheet 2- inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden and the tops are set.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cooled, create the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar and milk together. Divide the icing in half and add in the cocoa powder to half of the icing. You might need to add an additional teaspoon of milk to the chocolate glaze so it’s spreadable.
- Using an off-set spatula spread on the flat side of each cookie with white icing on half and chocolate icing on the other half. Allow the icing to set completely.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: half moon cookies, easy cookie recipe, christmas cookies