These Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies are chocolaty and chewy! Adding sour cream into the cookie dough in place of some of the butter makes a super soft cookie that melts in your mouth!
You guys know I am a huge chocolate chip cookie girl. Of course I have my favorite recipe that I feel can’t be beat. But that doesn’t stop me from trying new and different ways to enjoy the classic. And really any day when you’re having homemade chocolate chip cookies is a good day.
Today I decided to give the classic a twist by adding in sour cream in place of some of the butter that I would typically use.
What I got was a super soft cookie that baked up perfectly!
It was such an easy switch out that actually produces a cookie that’s a little lighter in calories if you use a light sour cream!
I have tried this recipe with whole fat sour cream as well as light sour cream and I really couldn’t tell the difference!
Also, please note that these cookies will bake up a little cakier if you leave them in the oven long enough. Of course I prefer a chewier cookie, so I took them out of the oven when they were still an eensy bit soft still in the center.
Also notice the gorgeous, super melty chocolate chips that I used in these cookies are Callebaut. They are incredibly creamy chocolate chips that make your cookie extra special. I’m a huge fan.
Anyhow, back to the sour cream in this recipe… it doesn’t make the cookie taste like sour cream, so don’t worry about that. It just adds a soft and unique texture! And they stay softer for a longer…so if they’re still around on day 3 you won’t have hard cookies!
And when you use sour cream in the cookie you don’t’ have to chill the dough before you bake them up! That’s a win for sure!
For other fun twists on classic recipes check out this Acme Pinterest board with lots of creative ideas! #PinThatTwistPrint
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, sour cream, salt and baking soda and continue mixing until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and mix in the flour until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough out using a 2 tablespoon sixed cookie scoop or spoon and drop onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight for up to 3 days
Helpful tip… out of sour cream?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Star Market. The opinions and text are all mine.