Boyfriend Cookies are huge, chewy, chocolatey cookies from the I Heart Naptime Cookbook! Loaded with oats, milk chocolate, M&M’S, semi-sweet chocolate and walnuts, they’re guaranteed boyfriend bait!
This is such a fun time of year when all sorts of fun new cookbooks are released for the holiday season and I have been eagerly awaiting Jamielyn’s book for months! She and I went through the cookbook process along a similar time frame, so I have loved seeing her book come together!
At first glance these cookies look innocent enough, but the texture is what really sets them apart. Jamielyn uses ground oatmeal in the batter to add texture without making them “oaty” if that makes sense and I love the results!
You pulse the oats right in the blender a few times to grind them up.
AND another trick to these cookies is pulsing frozen milk chocolate bars in the blender as well to make a milk chocolate dust/pebble-ish mixture.
Adding the milk chocolate to the batter like this adds another layer of sweetness to the cookie!
The dough is delicious. It would have been wrong not to sample.
The cookies bake up like a dream…
They’re crinkly and chewy.
I’m also wanting to note that I added 1/4 cup more flour to the dough than what the recipe calls for…I did this just out of personal preference. I prefer a slightly thicker cookie, but I wrote the recipe as the book states.
I added walnuts too…and while I don’t typically like nuts in my cookies I really like the addition of the walnut in these! The recipe says they’re optional, so no nut peer-pressure here.
I hope you guys love these cookies as much as I do and The I Heart Naptime Cookbook definitely needs to be on your book wishlist!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1¼ old-fashioned rolled oats
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, frozen (I used 4 Hershey's Bars)
- 1½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup M&M'S
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix together the butter and both sugars for 2 minutes until fluffy on medium speed. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Place the oats in the blender and grind until fine. It's okay to have some larger pieces of oat left. Whisk the oats into the flour mixture and then with the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Place the frozen chocolate bars into the blender and pulse to grind. The chocolate should resemble small pebbles.
- With the mixer still on low add in the ground chocolate, chocolate chips, M&M'S and walnuts, if desired, mixing until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons) scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes and then transfer to a wore rack to cool completely.
- Store airtight for up to 3 days.
**Slight adaptation: I used 2¼ cups flour, as I prefer a slightly thicker cookie.