This Bayou Brownie Pie is CRAZY good! Its a buttery blondie-brownie filling with an ooey-gooey cream cheese topping, all nestled in a pie crust.
I will be the first to admit that I am not a great pie maker. I do enough to justgetby.
I have tried time and time again to get a pretty crust with just the right amount of thumb squishing to no avail. And do NOT even get me started on lattice crust. It might possibly be my arch nemesis.
Anyhow I decided not to let any of these things deter me today, because APPARENTLY it’s national Pi Day on Saturday (3/14) and I could not let a science holiday pass by without trying my hardest to turn it into a food holiday.
Also, I’m totally just assuming Pi Day is a holiday for science people. Is holiday even the right word?
So yeah. Pie on Pi Day. I’ve got a doozie for you guys.
This Bayou Brownie Pie is KILLER. And please excuse the sliced picture above halfway resembling a meat pie. It ain’t. Moving on.
First and foremost I wanted an easy pie crust for this one so I used an all Crisco pie crust recipe. The great thing about using only vegetable shortening in the crust is there is no chill time like there is with butter. It can be made in just a few minutes and it’s pretty impossible to mess up!
The filling is really easy and I used pecans in it because, well, it’s a Bayou Brownie Pie…but if you are all, “nuts…no” like I usually am just use mini chocolate chips.
Oh, and the filling starts with a dry cake mix. It’s SO easy.
Once you have the filling pressed into the pan top it with a glorious sweet cream cheese layer. It makes this pie incredible.
Once you have baked it, let it cool before you slice it. The center will be pretty gooey when it’s warm.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that!
Dig in and enjoy!
And if you’re looking for another amazing pie recipe hop over to my friend Jenny’s site for a jaw-dropping candy filled Butterfinger Cream Cheese Pie!!Print
Bayou Brownie Pie
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1 (18.25 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter combine the cold shortening until the mixture resembles a coarse crumb. Add in the water and knead dough until it comes together. The dough should be dry, but not crumbly. If it is too sticky add an extra tablespoon of flour at a time until the dough reaches the proper consistency.
- Form the dough into a flat circle and on a lightly floured surface roll the dough out using a rolling pin to about 10 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough in a deep dish pie plate, pinching the edges to form a crust. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cake mix, pecans, egg and butter together until combined.
- Press this evenly into the crust. Set aside.
- In the same bowl of your stand mixer (don’t worry about cleaning it out) beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in both eggs and continue mixing, carefully scraping the sides down so the mixture is smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Once it’s all added turn mixer up to medium and beat until creamy. Pour this on top of the filling.
- Bake the pie for 55- 60 minutes until the top is golden brown. The center will be slightly loose, but it will set up as the pie cools.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
I teamed up with Criso for this post, and used their recipe for easy pie crust, but all opinions expressed are solely my own. #CriscoKnowsPi #PiDay
I do encourage you guys to check out Crisco’s facebook page for a special Pi day Coupon for Crisco Baking sticks.
32 comments on “Bayou Brownie Pie”
I have made this a few times. Today I didn’t have a yellow cake mix so I used a carrot cake mix. I think it will turn out great!
I want to make this but am confused. It’s called Bayou BROWNIE Pie and the baked pie is brown but there is no chocolate, cocoa, or other brownie-type ingredients. It uses a yellow cake mix. Please explain.
Thank you. Looks delicious!
HI! Bayou Brownies are a blonde brownie, and this pie is a version of those!