Lemon Meltaways are a soft, buttery, shortbread-style, slice and bake cookie recipe. They are topped with a creamy icing and literally melt in your mouth! The best lemon cookies ever!
Lemon Meltaways Are An Easy Slice and Bake Cookie Recipe!
Lemon Cookies are one of those cookie recipes that I try not to make a lot because I am the only one in my house who eats them!! You see I LOVE lemon cookies, and I can’t be trusted if they’re in the house…and that paired with the fact that no one else will eat them is a recipe for a quick 5 pound weight gain!
Here Are Some Of My Favorite Lemon Cookies:
How Do You Make Lemon Meltaways?
Like I said before, this is a slice and bake cookie recipe, which is great because not only are slice and bakes easy, but they can be made ahead and baked whenever you’re ready, which makes this recipe great for holiday cookie baking when you are baking a lot in a short period of time!
You can prep with cookie dough the night before and bake them up when you’re ready!
Why Does This Cookie Dough Use Powdered Sugar?
Powdered Sugar in this dough adds to the melty, soft texture. Using powdered (or confectioners) sugar is essential in this recipe to achieve the texture!
Can You Freeze These Lemon Cookies?
Yep! These cookies freeze beautifully. I prefer to freeze then before icing them, as the icing can get sticky as it thaws.
You can even make the dough, wrap it up and freeze the dough in the log shape for later. When you’re ready to bake, allow the cookies to thaw slightly, enough that you can slice them. Then bake them as stated in the recipe!
Can You Make These Lemon Cookies Another Flavor?
Absolutely! Here are some ideas:
- Use another form of citrus like orange, or lime!
- Leave out the citrus entirely and add a Vanilla Bean!
- Finely chop up some dried cranberries and add those into the dough!
- Mini Chocolate Chips! About 1/2 cup will be great!
- Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut and a little coconut extract into the icing!
Looking For More Slice and Bake Cookie Recipes? Try These:Print
These tender lemon cookies melt in your mouth!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 – 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- For the Cookies: In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and powdered sugar together on medium speed until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the cornstarch, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix for 30 seconds until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a log, 8-9 inches long. Wrap the logs separately in plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Slice the logs into 1/2- inch thick rounds. Place the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Icing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest until smooth. Spoon or pour the icing on top of each cookie. Allow the icing to set.
Store cookies airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, lemon cookies, meltaway cookies, cookie recipe, slice and bake cookies, lemon cookie recipe, lemon shortbread cookies