Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese is a new way to enjoy a favorite comfort dish that is so easy to prepare. This flavor packed, cheesy sandwich is sure to impress!
Table of Contents
- Get the Recipe
- Completely Flavor Packed!
- What Cheese Makes the Best Grilled Cheese?
- Recipe Ingredients
- What’s the Best Chicken To Use For Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese?
- What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use On Grilled Cheese?
- What’s the Best Bread To Use For Grilled Cheese?
- How To Make Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese:
- Why Is My Grilled Cheese Not Crispy?
- What If My Cheese Isn’t Melted But the Bread Is Too Brown?
- What To Serve With Your Buffalo Chicken Sandwich:
- Love Buffalo Flavor? Here Are a Few More Recipes To Try:
- Get the Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
This delicious spin on a classic grilled cheese sandwich incorporates everyone’s favorite party food…Buffalo wings! The combination of these two comfort foods is a match made in heaven. This sandwich recipe is incredibly easy, made with go-to ingredients and perfect to impress guests. I grilled them up outside on my Blackstone griddle, but can easily be done inside in a cast iron skillet! Such a fun option for game day food, or to enjoy by the pool this summer!
Completely Flavor Packed!
I have packed flavor into every single ingredient of this sandwich. It is out of control delicious from start to finish.
- Salted garlic butter on the outside of the bread adds flavor and gives the toasted sourdough a crispy edge.
- Ranch dressing spread on the inside of the bread for an added layer of zest. You can also use blue cheese if you prefer!
- A buffalo sauce soaked, breaded and seasoned chicken patty is the filling for this grilled cheese!
- Colby Jack cheese for the perfect creamy melt as well as cheesy flavor is the glue that holds it all together! You could also use pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or even Monterey Jack.
What Cheese Makes the Best Grilled Cheese?
I consider myself a bit of a grilled cheese perfectionist. It must be perfectly toasted, with buttery, crisp edges, with the perfect amount of cheese melted on the inside. The balance in the ratios ingredients is where the magic happens. Too much cheese might seem like a good idea, but it just ends up oozing out and making the sandwich too heavy and soft…but too little cheese…well that’s just sad!
Some folks use mayonnaise on the bread before toasting, but it’s just not my favorite. Salted butter adds a a crisp that can’t be duplicated. And in this recipe I made a garlic compound butter that packs flavor on every level.
- Sourdough bread. If you’ve ever had Panera sourdough, it’s the perfect bread for this sandwich, but any store-bought sourdough works too!
- Cooked Breaded Chicken Patties. Just pick up some breaded chicken patties in the freezer section of your supermarket. Any brand will be fine. Bake those, or cook them in the air fryer and have them ready to go!
- Buffalo Sauce. Any brand is totally fine! Use what you like.
- Colby Jack cheese. I like to grate my cheese for this sandwich, but you can absolutely use slices too.
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing. You can use your own personal preference…whatever you like to dip your wings in will work! I spread a little of this on the inside of the bread to add another layer of flavor!
- Salted Butter. Add a little garlic powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and some parsley to room temperature butter and mix it up to create a flavor booster! You spread this generously on the outside of the bread to get that crispy, salty, golden brown edge! You can use unsalted butter if that’s what you have, I would just add a pinch of salt to the mixture!
What’s the Best Chicken To Use For Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese?
For this recipe you can use any type of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Ideally it should be the same size as the bread, so every bite has chicken. I like to make it easy and use frozen chicken patties and heat those up in the oven or air fryer to get crisp. The breading on the chicken patties soaks up the perfect amount of hot sauce, so it’s just a great option.
What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use On Grilled Cheese?
Any soft, melting cheese will work great! You can used sliced cheese or grated. Here are a few go-to options:
- American Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack
What’s the Best Bread To Use For Grilled Cheese?
Like I mentioned above, I really love Panera’s sourdough bread. And of course any brand of sourdough will work. If you don’t like sourdough, or you don’t have that in your kitchen you can use just about any type of sturdy bread for this recipe.
I don’t recommend soft sandwich bread, however, just because it can be a little soft for a recipe with so much going on!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese:
Cook the chicken patties according to the package directions. Keep them warm while you prep your other ingredients.
Mix together softened butter, garlic powder, and parsley in a small bowl to create an herbed butter. Spread this generously onto each slice of sourdough (both the top and bottom of the sandwich). And then spread a little ranch or blue cheese on the inside of the bread.
Pour hot sauce into a shallow bowl and dip the chicken patty into the sauce, coating it completely.
To assemble the sandwich place 1/4 cup of the grated cheese on the bottom piece of bread, top with the chicken, and then 1/4 more cheese. Press the top piece of bread gently down on top.
Place the assembled sandwich in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook on each side for 3 – 4 minutes on each side until the cheese is melty, pressing down gently with a spatula.
Serve immediately with more ranch or blue cheese to dip!
Why Is My Grilled Cheese Not Crispy?
There are a few reasons your grilled cheese might not be as crispy as you would like:
- If you use bread that is too soft. This is why I recommend a sturdy sourdough with edges/crusts that will hold up to the weight of the chicken and the cheese.
- You add too much cheese/butter. Adding too much of these ingredients *sounds* delicious, but it won’t give you the crispiest grilled cheese. The butter can make it a little soggy, and the cheese can end up too oily and greasy, causing your sandwich to be soft.
- You don’t toast the sandwich long enough! You want to cook your grilled cheese on a medium heat to medium-low heat. It will take a few extra minutes at a lower temperature, but it will ensure that the cheese gets melted and the outside doesn’t burn! You want an even golden brown sandwich and the trick is lower heat!
What If My Cheese Isn’t Melted But the Bread Is Too Brown?
A trick to making grilled cheese is a lower temperature to prevent this. The bread will brown a little slower, but it will give the cheese time to melt. If you notice that the cheese isn’t melting, you can tent your pan with foil, or use a cooking dome or large lid to cover the pan, trapping the heat, helping the cheese melt a little more quickly! Don’t leave the lid on the pan too long though, because you don’t want steam to build up, causing the bread to get soggy.
What To Serve With Your Buffalo Chicken Sandwich:
- Simple some celery slices and/or some carrot slices will do! There’s no need to make this complicated!
- You can also serve this with french fries, potato chips, or potato salad.
- A green salad is an easy option as well, or if you want to get creative, my Frito Corn Salad is the perfect side dish!
Love Buffalo Flavor? Here Are a Few More Recipes To Try:Print
This spin on classic grilled cheese is a whole meal! The amount of flavor packed into every layer makes it incredibly delicious!
- 2 frozen breaded chicken patties
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup of Ranch or blue cheese dressing, and more for dipping (optional)
- 8 ounces Colby Jack cheese, grated
- Bake or air fry the chicken according to the package directions until crispy.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter, garlic powder, parsley, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the hot sauce in a shallow dish in the microwave or on the stove top until warm.
- Spread the butter on one side of each piece of bread. Spread a tablespoon of the ranch on the other side of each piece of bread.
- Dip each chicken breast into the hot sauce to coat.
- Divide the cheese into 4 equal parts. Place 1/4 of the cheese on 1 slice of the bread. Top the cheese with a chicken patty. Top the chicken with another 1/4 of the cheese. Top the cheese with a slice of bread, butter side on top. Repeat this process on the remaining sandwich.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium-low. Place the sandwiches into the skillet and toast the bread for 4-5 minutes on each side until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
- Serve immediately.
These sandwiches are best served immediately.
Keywords: cookies and cups, grilled cheese, buffalo chicken grilled cheese
Want To Save This Recipe?
PIN for later: