Cereal Milk Frosting is a fun way to make your cake extra special! Just soak your favorite cereal in some milk and mix it into buttercream to make a lightly sweetened frosting. So many possibilities!
It’s Frosting Friday again folks!! I am having such a good time with this series, and I hope you are too! Dreaming up fun frosting flavors AS MY JOB is basically a dream come true.
This week’s installment is a fun little spin on traditional buttercream. It’s an easy way to flavor and lightly sweeten a plain buttercream! Use whatever cereal you like best…which of course, for me, is Fruity Pebbles.
The process is crazy easy. That leftover milk at the bottom of your cereal bowl just found a new lease on life.
You literally just soak your cereal in milk.
The flavor will be subtle, and not overpowering…so if you’re looking for a more intense flavor you could pulverize some of the dry cereal and mix that in as well. But I like the slight flavor the cereal milk adds…it’s just enough to be noticeable, but not overpowering!
And then of course, use it on the cake of your choice.
And my choice is always Funfetti. Because I am 12.
And don’t forget to use the hashtag #FrostingFriday and #cookiesandcups when posting on social media!Print
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cereal
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- In cereal bowl combine the milk and cereal. All this to sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain the cereal from the milk using a sieve. Discard the cereal and set the milk aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add the mix into the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired creaminess and flavor is reached. I used 5 tablespoons of milk.
- Spread on a cake or cupcakes.
*Cereals that are stronger in flavor work well in this. A milder cereal might not be a noticeable flavor.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before spreading.