This Easy Chocolate Chip Shortbread Recipe is buttery, and loaded with mini chocolate chips! Only 5 ingredients necessary for a chocolate-twist on a classic shortbread recipe.
I partnered with my friend’s at Bob’s Red Mill on this Chocolate Chip Shortbread recipe. I only partner with brands that I love and use in my own kitchen. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this website possible.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are a buttery, melt in your mouth twist on classic shortbread! Doesn’t chocolate just make everything a little more…delicious? Of course if you don’t love chocolate (WHO? WHAT?) you can always make my 3 Ingredient Shortbread, which is also completely delicious in its own way. But of course, it’s Day 3 of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies series, and I wanted to make a shortbread recipe that was not only classic, but also festive! Mission accomplished with this chocolate chip shortbread!
Shortbread is one of those recipes where the quality of the ingredients is very important. The flavors of the ingredients really shine through, so this isn’t a recipe to cut corners on! Use high quality butter, vanilla and of course, flour. I LOVE Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached All Purpose Flour, which is what I used in this shortbread recipe. It’s unbleached, unbromated, enriched baking flour milled from high quality North American wheat. It’s perfect to use in cakes, cookies, yeast breads, biscuits, muffins…literally everything.
Bob’s Red Mill products are also certified Kosher, and made with ingredients grown from non-GMO seeds. So, beyond being flavorful, I feel good about the ingredients that I use to feed my family.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Shortbread
There are two ways to make these shortbread cookies, which I’ve noted in the recipe below. You can roll out your dough, cut it into shapes and THEN chill it, OR you can chill the dough then roll it out and cut it into shapes. Either way will work!
If you want a more precise edge, cutting the dough into shapes and then chilling it is the method you might want to try. If the edges aren’t as important to you, roll it out after it’s chilled. In the pictures of the cookies I chilled the dough before rolling it out, just so you have an idea of what to expect!
You could even drizzle these chocolate chip shortbread cookies with some melted chocolate for an even prettier presentation!
The buttery, tender texture of these cookies is undeniable! The bottoms will get slightly golden brown, which only adds to the depth of flavor. A classic cookie recipe for sure!Print
Classic shortbread gets a chocolate twist!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I used Bob’s All Purpose Unbleached flour)
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter, sugar and vanilla together for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips evenly.
- Transfer the dough to a zip-top bag and chill for at least 2 hours. Alternately, you can roll your dough out now and cut into shapes, and then chill the dough. Both methods are effective.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll dough out into a large square, 1/3-inch thick. Cut the dough into squares using a knife, or you could use cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days
Keywords: shortbread, cookies, christmas cookies, chocolate chip
Want To Save This Recipe?
Make sure not to miss any of the cookies in my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Series!
Day 1: Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe
Day 3: Chocolate Chip Shortbread