So sometimes I have these dreams where I wake up yelling like a lunatic and jumping on top of my husband to save me. Happens like twice a year.
My husband is not a fan.
In the past I’ve sworn there was a scary murderer crouching on the ground next to my bed…
Another time it was a scary ghost-man floating above my bed, about to kill me. You know, just floating there.
Then there was that time an older, stately gentleman wearing a dusty blue sweatshirt stood at the end of my bed shaking his head at me. He was probably going to kill me.
I think my subconscious is telling me that I am scared of ghost-men murderers.
Anyway, I had one of these dreams the other night…but I am happy to say that the cycle has been broken. I did not dream of a scary murder-man. Nope. I woke up screaming and jumping on my husband because a scary 8 inch spider-ghost jumped on my bed…
and was probably going to murder me.
So yeah, I think I am scared of being murdered, by man or spider.
So after I realized the spider was a figment of my imagination, most likely being sparked by watching Arachnophobia with my kids (which, btw, I THOUGHT was a comedy), I laid awake in my bed for a while.
So these cookies are something I thought up while recovering from almost being murdered by a ghost-spider.
They are based on these cookies I did a while back. So this latest version was a total no-brainer.
I started with my favorite cocoa powder, Hershey’s Special Dark. You certainly don’t have to use the dark cocoa powder, but it really is great in these cookies!
Sift that together with your other dry ingredients…
Let them cool on your baking sheet for about 3 minutes…
While the cookies are still warm, but not hot, sandwich a Patty in between two cookies…
The warm cookie will melt the chocolate of the patty enough to stick to the cookies, creating a yummy filling!
These are the perfect cookie for the holidays or a cookie swap!
Makes approx 24 cookie sandwiches
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- approx 24 York Peppermint Patties
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl cream together your butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in vanilla and both eggs and stir until combined and smooth, about 1 more minute.
- IN a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add into butter mixture, Beating until combined.
- Add in mini chips and stir until incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure out approx 2 tsp of dough and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 7-8 minutes until puffed and just set.
- Let cookies cool approx 3 minutes on baking sheet, then place a peppermint patty in between 2 warm cookies and place on a wire rack to continue cooling. Gently press cookies together so as the chocolate melts, the cookies stick to the patty.
Cookie recipe adapted from Hershey’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies