Didn’t you know Valentine’s Day and pencils go hand in hand?
Well, you need a pencil to write the card you’re gonna give to your sweetie, right? Because if you’re anything like me you write, second-guess, erase, rewrite, third-guess, erase, rewrite and so on and so on…
So I declare pencils the official writing apparatus of Valentine’s Day!
Here’s what you need for Valentine’s Pencils:
- Yellow construction paper
- Pink Construction paper
- double sided tape
- hot glue gun
- Hershey’s Kisses
- I used Mentos for the pencil, but you could use Rolos too!
- aluminum foil
- Black Sharpie
- Pinking Shears-optional
Here’s what you do:
- I used Mentos because there are so many kids with allergies and these seemed to be the best option.
- Hot glue a Hershey Kiss to the end of the Mentos.
- Cover the pencil with foil and twist the foil at the tip, over the Kiss, and if you have a little too much, just snip it off…
- I colored the tip with the Sharpie to look like the tip of a pencil.
- Now cut your yellow construction paper to wrap your “pencil”, leaving about an inch at the end unwrapped.
- If you want, trim the bottom edge with your pinking shears
- Use double sided tape to adhere the paper.
- Now tightly roll it up.
- Now start your eraser. Using your pink paper, trace the top of the candy, making a circle and hot glue that to the top of the Mento (top of the eraser)
- Now cut your pink paper, to wrap it around the top to make the eraser. about 3/4″
- Now line the pink paper with double sided tape and roll it up. Leaving a small strip of foil showing.
I wrote on the pencil a Valentine’s message with my black Sharpie.
And if you would like to attach your child’s Valentine, punch a hole in the corner…
and tie on with a ribbon.
*Sorry about the lack of instructional pictures in this post. The internet “ate” them when I did a server move.
Hope the instructions help!
59 comments on “Valentine’s Pencils”
What a great idea – now I'm torn between your idea and "apple cupcakes" for the first day of school. Maybe I'll do these for the last day of school.
Cute!! would be a great teacher gift too!
I want to make these for the summer workshops! Thanks for this very wonderful idea!
LOVE THIS! I made some for my daughter's teachers and classmates. Thanks for the super awesome tutorial! I posted them on my blog:
so cute! i shared it with my facebook page followers here… http://www.facebook.com/freek12edu
These pencils are so stinkin cute!! I love them!!
Hi, nice to meet you. Those are so cute and I was looking for something to make my grandkids, Perfect!!! LOL Drop by blog anytime.
Awww – how adorable! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day 🙂