Meanwhile, make your caramel and coat the popcorn.
Line a counter with some wax paper and spread out the caramel corn evenly, then sprinkle with your toasted coconut!
- 2 bags of Light microwave popcorn popped with the unpopped kernels removed.
- 2 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 12 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 package Samoa Cookies (optional)
- After your popcorn is popped according to the package instructions set it aside in a large bowl.
- Put coconut in cold skillet and heat to medium low.
- It will take 10-15 minutes or so for it to toast up, but please watch it carefully because once it starts to brown it will go fast.
- Once it is a light golden color remove from heat and set aside.
- Now, if you are adding the Samoas, chop your cookies into small bit-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- On your counter or a nearby table line a few sheets of wax paper so you can spread you popcorn onto it when mixing the caramel. You don’t have to do this, but it makes it easier.
- To make the caramel combine the butter, brown sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk ingredients to together and bring to a boil.
- Preheat your oven to 200°
- Boil without stirring for approx 5 minutes until candy thermometer reads 250°. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, 5 minutes is just about the right amount of time, don’t worry too much.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in your baking soda and vanilla.
- Now watch as your caramel does all sorts of sciencey things…gets lighter and bubbles/foams up a bit.
- Pour your caramel over your popcorn and stir until it’s all coated.
- Now pour you popcorn on you waxed paper and sprinkle your toasted coconut on top of popcorn evenly.
- Leave your wax paper out, you will need it again!
- In a large roasting pan or baking sheet bake your popcorn in oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Now spread you popcorn back onto the wax paper and sprinkle your chopped cookies evenly on top.
- Melt your semi-sweet chocolate in microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring each time.
- Drizzle your melted chocolate on top of cookies and popcorn. Let the chocolate set and break apart.
Want To Save This Recipe?