I have a little guy home from school this week because he’s sick.
It’s a little introduction into summer break for me.
I thought I was ready.
I’m not ready.
The endless episodes of Pokemon on a loop…the eating….ALLTHEEATING…the “Can blah blah blah come over?”…the “sleeping in” which is a made up imaginary thing…because my kids seem to like to get up EARLIER on days when they have no school…major fail kids…and the in and out, in and out, in and out…
Don’t get me wrong, I love the bejeezus out of my kids. But I straight lock my doors when they go outside anymore.
Because without a doubt 2 minutes after they go out, they will be back in.
And then out.
And thennnn back in.
I air condition my back deck, which is really not expensive at all…
So yeah, summer break for us is almost here (I know a lot of you having been dealing with all the things for a few weeks already) and even though I thought I was ready, I’m starting to second guess my sanity.
Pray for me.
And then make these Key Lime Whoopie Pies.
As you know, I am addicted to Key Lime anything. Here are some of my past recipes.
Luckily lime is fruit, so I feel 1/8 less guilty about it.
Also these whoopie pies are basically an inside-out cupcake. Did I just invent something? An inside-out cupcake? Don’t google that, I call dibs.
Get a box of cake mix. Add some oil, water and eggs…oh and also a cup of graham cracker crumbs…
Mix that up for a minute or so. It’ll get thick and pretty.
While they’re cooling, go ahead and make your filling.
Start by zesting a few limes…
Then add that into some cream cheese, powdered sugar and key lime juice… I used a piping bag for easy filling…
And squish the filling between 2 cookies… I dipped half of each sandwich into some extra graham cracker crumbs.
I was feeling fancy.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (or vanilla)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lime Zest (about 2 limes)
- 3 Tbsp Key Lime Juice (about 2 limes)
- *optional ~ graham cracker crumbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl combine cake mix, graham crumbs, oil, water and eggs. Stir to combine and then beat on medium high for 1 minute.
- Drop batter (approx 2 Tbsp) onto lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes until set and edges are lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, zest and lime juice in bowl of stand mixer. Mix on low until ingredients combine, Turn mixer up to medium and beat for 1½-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Fill whoopie pies with about 2 Tbsp of filling.
- Garnish edges with graham cracker crumbs if desired.