So when I was little I wanted to be Kristy Nichol.
Do you guys remember her?
You have to remember that I grew up in the 80s.
So there was this movie that I was obsessed with called The Pirate Movie. And I used to watch it over and over and over annnnd over. I wanted my hair to be “feathered” like hers. I wanted to be tan like she was. And in that movie she wore this white, off the shoulder dress that I became obsessed with. Like, if I could only have that dress my life would be perfect.
Around the same time I was Kristy McNichol-ing it I decided that I also wanted to be Mork. From Ork.
I wore rainbow colored suspenders with pins. Out in public.
As I got a little older I started relating to non-male, non-Pirate types.
Like Alyssa Milano.
She was basically the coolest. And at least she dressed 80s-normal.
But since my mother wouldn’t let me out of the house wearing a half-shirt, I was stuck with just the high waisted jeans.
High waisted jeans and hair that grew out rather than down.
I think I looked a lot more like Mork than Kelly Kapowski.
This explains a lot about my life.
I just knew that if I was one of those girls, I could end up on the cover of Big Bopper and marrying Kirk Cameron and live happily ever after.
Luckily none of that happened.
When I watch movies or TV nowadays I relate more to people like me now. I mean, elastic pants are so my jam.
The fact that I will never be Kelly Kapowski doesn’t stop me from watching TV though, it’s still a bit of a sore spot, but it’s nothing a few cookies can’t quell.
So in honor of all my favorite movies and TV shows I made Movie Candy cookies.
It’s basically an homage.
You have a little McNichol in there, a little Milano and even a little Mork…
These cookies are so great because they’re big and fat and loaded with candy.
On second thought, these aren’t Kapowski at all…
That’s why it never happened for me.
Start with butter and peanut butter. Melt them together.
Pour that deliciousness in with some brown sugar, eggs and vanilla…
Go ahead, stick your face in there…
Make the dough into “golf ball” sized dough balls and put them on your baking sheet.
You should really sprinkle them with sea salt now. It’s good.
Then bake! Aren’t they pretty…
Now, if you added Milk Duds, you might have a little oozing happen…
Which is kind of perfect, if you ask me…
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups assorted candy (I used 1 cup Raisinettes, ¾ cup Milk Duds, ¾ cup Reese's Pieces, ½ cup Mini M&Ms)
- *optional flaked or coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Combine butter and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt together for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue in 15 second increments until mixture is melted and smooth.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer combine eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar. Mix on medium until combined and smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly pour in your butter/peanut butter mixture. Continue stirring until combined.
- With mixer still on low, gradually add your flour mixture until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Now add in your assorted candies and stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Now form you batter into "golf ball" sized dough balls. I used my 3 Tbsp scooper.
- Place on a baking sheet, about 2" apart and sprinkle with sea salt flakes (if desired). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cookies will be puffy, but will be golden around the edges.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.