So I am a huge fan of dessert for breakfast.
Cake never tastes better than it does first thing in the morning. That’s my truth.
So obviously, I am all about doughnuts…or donuts…whatever.
It’s somehow an acceptable breakfast food.
Like, if you ask what’s for breakfast and I’m all, “oh just a slice of cake”, you’re probably thinking, “dude, what a fatty”.
But if I respond, “oh just a doughnut”, well you might still think, “what a fatty”, but somehow it’s not quite as shocking.
And really doughnuts are way worse..because it’s like deep fried cake. With frosting.
So today I have solved this major dilemma.
With muffins…because no one looks twice at you when you’re having a muffin for breakfast.
ANNND this here breakfast food is a cake, disguised as a doughnut disguised as a muffin…
Triple agent breakfast food. That’s serious espionage.
The inspiration for this came from the most delicious Dunkin’ Donut on the planet. The Vanilla Creme.
That donut is my honey. My boo. My soul mate.
But since I am allergic to preparing food with yeast (not really) and also deep frying (again, not really) I decided to make the cheater’s version.
What ended up happening was completely delightful.
Sometimes laziness pays off.
The steps are easy. Let’s begin.
Vanilla Cream Filled Muffins.
I started by using this vanilla muffin recipe.
You combine pretty much all your ingredients, except the milk, melted butter and vanilla.
You’ll have to let them cool for a bit before you fill them…
Using a pasty bag or a zip-top bag and a large piping tip plunge the tip directly into the muffin and squeeze the filling in.
You’ll see your muffin bulge a little when it’s full…
Mine cracked a little because I am a classic over-filler.
But I’m not losing any sleep over that little “problem”.
Then dust them with powdered sugar. I left mine in the baking tin, but you totally don’t have to.
Then get to serving…
And of course eating.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- *optional 1 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer mix sugar and egg together until combined. Then add in flour, baking powder and salt until mixture looks like a coarse sand.
- On low speed slowly add in milk and vanilla mixing until incorporated.
- Fill liners ⅔ full and bake for 18-20 minutes, until muffin springs back to touch.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Fill piping bag fitted with a large tip with filling.
- Plunge tip directly into muffin and squeeze 1-2 Tbsp of filling in. You will see the muffin bulge slightly. Continue until all muffins are filled.
- Sift with powdered sugar and serve.
Vanilla muffin recipe adapted ever so slightly from Dine and Dish