Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Cake Batter Buttercream!! (Or any filling you would like!)
The Whoopie Pie. It’s not a new invention, but I decided to give it a go with some yummy filling. Cake Batter filling. What’s that you say? Oh yes..I HAVE lost my mind.
It’s a pretty easy recipe. Mix your butter, sugar..blah blah blah…
Then add your dry ingredients.Print
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup vanilla or funfetti cake mix…I used funfetti (not prepared…dry)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tbsp milk
- Beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add in your powdered sugar and dry cake mix.
- Turn speed up to medium and beat for 1 minute until smooth.
- Add in milk and continue mixing until desired consistency is reached.
makes approx 15 pies
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter – room temp
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt
- In a mixer, cream together butter, shortening and brown sugar until combined well.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and add half of the flour/cocoa mixture, then half the milk, repeating until all the ingredients are mixed in.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon, 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until centers are set.
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Fill with your prepared filling.
ps ~ I mustache you a question…but I’ll shave it for later.
You’re welcome for that.