I am not a huge ice cream fan.
Don’t feel bad for me, I certainly get my sweets in a multitude of other ways.
But, one day last week while doing my weekly grocery shopping, I got seduced by the colorful pints of Ben & Jerry’s down the frozen food aisle. I generally try and avoid the ice cream section altogether…but this day I was feeling weak.
I stood and stared at the pints full of delicious concoctions…I am less intrigued by the ice cream itself, as I am by the add-in combinations.
Honestly, ice cream is just a vehicle for my cookie dough or Schweddy Ball consumption…I could take it or leave it ~ and normally I leave it. Yep, I am one of those who picks out all the goodies and leaves a half eaten pint-full of picked through vanilla. Luckily my husband is a vanilla-man, so he doesn’t mind.
While hypnotized by the shelves of delicious ice cream flavors my eyes stopped on “Chubby Hubby“. I decided the only option at that moment was to buy it. For research. It’s a thing, trust me.
as soon as I got home after dinner, I decided to sit down and give this ice cream a fair chance. I mean how bad could vanilla ice cream with chocolate peanut butter pretzels, and fudge and peanut butter swirls be? Well, I will tell you…not bad. Not bad at all.
In fact I was so enamored by the pretzely, chocolatey goodness that I figured there must be a more efficient way of consuming them, without having to pick through the needless vanilla.
I bring you Chubby Hubby Bars. Full of all the salty sweetness you crave without the added ice cream calories. See? I’m really helping you out. I’m a giver.
I know I make lots and lots of bars. I thought about trying to make these in cookie-form, but I’m lazy. Bars are easy.
First make a simple cookie dough and add in some of these little gems…
Then mix in some of these…
After it’s baked you could stop there…but I think you should pour a little caramel on top.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pretzels
- 1 (8oz) bag of Reese’s Mini cups (or 2 cups coarsely chopped full sized Reese’s)
- 1 (14 oz) bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray a 9×13 pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Beat together your butter and sugars until light and fluffy, approx 1 min.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mix until incorporated.
- On low speed add in your salt, baking soda and flour, mixing until just combined.
- Slowly add in your Reeses and Pretzels, mixing until evenly distributed.
- Spread in your prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Approx 30 minutes to an hour.
- When cooled, melt your caramels and 2 Tbsp water in a microwave safe bowl stirring every minute until melted.
- Pour over your bars.
- Chill in fridge for 15 minutes to set caramel.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave and spread over caramel.
- Put back in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares when ready to serve.
Want To Save This Recipe?