So these aren’t really “brownies”.
You probably guessed that.
They aren’t lemon bars either..they are a hybrid.
Can you tell I’ve been watching Vampire Diaries? Ugh…obsessed.
Anyway, my kids have been bugging me like crazy to have a lemonade stand outside, but since it’s been 4 million degrees out I have been coming up with excuses that “today is not a good day”. I figure I have to sit outside with them while they sell lemonade to complete strangers and having my face melt off my body might not be good for business. Just a guess.
What has happened is though, is now I have 27 containers of lemonade mix in my pantry, just waiting for a day that isn’t hot enough to melt faces.
So, I decided to try and get a little creative with all the lemonade mix…
I’ve seen a few versions of Lemon Brownies on Pinterest, and even tried a few of the recipes…but they didn’t turn out the way I expected. So I played around in the kitchen until I got want I wanted: a tart, sweet, cake-ish, brownie-ish textured bar made with dry lemonade mix.
Start with some dry lemonade mix…
Add an egg, a few yolks and vanilla…
Stir in your flour and baking powder and spread it into a pan…
Bake them, but don’t over-bake them, capeesh?
After they are done baking you should add some glaze. I mean really…
makes approx 10 brownies.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup dry lemonade powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, plus 2 yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour, plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp prepared lemonade OR juice from one lemon, approx 2-3 Tbsp
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray an 8×8 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and lemonade powder in mixer for about 2 minutes,until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and both yolks and vanilla. Continue mixing until incorporated.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour and baking powder. Stir until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until edges begin to golden and center is JUST set. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Stir powdered sugar, lemonade or lemon juice and zest in a small bowl and pour over cooled brownies.
- Let glaze set for at least an hour before cutting into squares.
I used Country time Lemonade mix, but I imagine any brand will work fine!