I just got back from vacation.
Which basically means I need a vacation.
No one should be expected to go back to real life for at least 2 days after you return home.
One day back is reserved for laundry, unpacking, grocery shopping…
And the next day is for relaxing.
Because no matter how restful your vacation is, you need a day on your couch to ease-back into real life, catch up on your dvr’d shows and survive the jet lag that 2 hours on same time-zone flight causes.
Honestly, it should really be a part of your vacation day allowance…at least 2 “ease-back” days a year. At least.
And while we’re at it…how about some “recovering from the dentist days” or “did you see that episode of the Bachelor? days”.
The Bachelor is exhausting, people.
Anyway. Vacation is awesome. Re-entry to the real world, not so awesome.
Unless you have cookies.
They definitely up the awesome factor.
Salted Rolo Brownie Cookies.
And even more specifically they are Rolo Brownie Cookies. And to cover the minutia, they are Salted Rolo Brownie Cookies.
The “salted” part is optional if you aren’t a salty person. I won’t officially disown you if you opt-out.
Here’s the abbreviated how-to:
Melt some chocolate, whisk some eggs, mix some sugar, add some flour…
And get your flaked sea salt sprinkle on.
I was feeling a little crazy, so I got some caramel sauce involved.
It’s not necessary…but it kinda is.
makes approx 28 cookies
- 16 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Rolo candies, approx 30-35 pieces
- flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside
- Over a double boiler, melt the chopped chocolate and butter together.
- Meanwhile in large bowl combine eggs, sugar and vanilla, whisking until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour and baking powder, set this aside also.
- When chocolate is melted, slowly add it to the egg and sugar mixture in small amounts, stirring vigorously until incorporated.
- When chocolate and egg mixture is combined, stir in the flour mixture.
- Fold in the chopped Rolo candies.
- Drop by heaping tablespoon on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until centers are just set.
- When cookies are done, remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.
recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker