Salty, Sweet Scotcheroos are a fun spin on the classic no-bake bars! These are perfect for lunchbox or after school treats, but special enough to serve to guests. I’ve partnered with Karo® Syrup for this easy and delicious recipe.
It’s no secret that I love a salty and sweet treat. I have found that sweet desserts are usually made extra fun with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt. Well, when my kiddos wanted to help me in the kitchen a few weeks back, we decided to make Scotcheroos, but we wanted to bake a little extra together as a family and put our own fun spin on them. So we started off with this classic Chocolate Scotcheroos recipe from Karo and added our own twist.
Scotcheroos are the perfect crispy, chewy treat because you use Karo® Light Corn Syrup which adds the exact right amount of sweetness without overpowering the key flavors!
You just cook some peanut butter, Karo® Light Corn Syrup, and granulated sugar together…
And here’s where we took a little detour from the original recipe…my son had the awesome idea to crush up some pretzels and mix them into the crispy rice cereal. The two textures combine amazingly well, so it made complete sense. Who am I to argue with genius?
Just mix the peanut butter mixture in with crispy rice cereal and crushed pretzels…
…and press it into a greased pan!
You could stop there…you really could.
You could melt some butterscotch chips with semi sweet chips.
Oh glorious day!
So yep, you guessed it…spread that beautiful chocolate on top.
And if you’re looking for a little more salty/sweet action go ahead and sprinkle on some flaked sea salt!
Feel free to use as much or as little as you like!
Now the hard part…waiting for the chocolate to set up! You can pop them in the refrigerator if you’re impatient, or just let them set up at room temperature.
Either way, you are going to LOVE these…the salty kick from the pretzels and salt pairs perfectly with the subtle sweetness of Karo® Syrup. Just be sure to bake a little extra so you can share the love and an extra batch with friends and family for Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving!Print
Salty Sweet Scotcheroos
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 – 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Cook corn syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add cereal and pretzels and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into the prepared dish and press evenly.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over the cereal mixture. Sprinkle with the flaked sea salt.
- Cool at least 45 minutes, or until firm. Cut into bars.
recipe adapted from Karo®
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
I have partnered with Karo® to create this recipe. I only partner with brands that I use in my kitchen. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
7 comments on “Salty Sweet Scotcheroos”
I’m a big fan of sweet and salty treats too. Looks delicious!
THE MUSIC IS ANNOYING!!!!!
I can practically taste these sweet salty treats. I have a feeling I wouldn’t be able to stop at just one.
These sound soooo good! Gonna try this the next time I make scotcharoos!
Scotcheroos are one of my favorites!! Definitey trying these. Probably tonight!
Love the sweet and salty combo! Yum!
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree… 😉 Love the idea of adding pretzels!