Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake is a delicious and easy brunch idea that is perfect for a crowd! This is Southern cooking at its best!
I have partnered with Borden® Cheese for this Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Cookies & Cups possible. Borden® Cheese believes that the kitchen is where meals and memories are made, especially during the holidays, and I couldn’t agree more.
Weekend breakfasts are my most favorite. Weekday mornings are a blur of running out the door, making sure bags are packed, shoes are on, and teeth are brushed. But weekends are generally a little slower. We can take our time enjoying that second cup of coffee, and I am not constantly reminding everyone of the time.
And let’s even one-up a weekend breakfast…how about a weekend HOLIDAY breakfast? There are so many memories that surround holiday breakfasts or brunches in my house. We always make sausage gravy and biscuits OR a breakfast casserole for holiday breakfasts…not only because they are delicious and cozy, but they feed a crowd. And that’s why today’s Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake recipe is PERFECT…it’s all our favorites in one easy breakfast recipe!
What is Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake?
This breakfast casserole is so great for feeding your family, but also special enough to serve for a holiday breakfast or brunch. Sausage Biscuit and Gravy Bake is layers of biscuits, covered in sausage gravy and cheese. It’s a hearty, southern-inspired breakfast casserole recipe that will easily become a family favorite!
I love using Borden® Cheese Thick Cut Shreds when I make my Biscuit and Gravy Casserole. Borden® Cheese is crafted with high-quality, wholesome ingredients, and the wider shreds are extra creamy, ideal for melting, and add a perfect layer of cheesy goodness on this sausage gravy and biscuit bake.
Can You Prep This Breakfast Casserole Ahead?
To make this ahead, prepare the casserole according to the directions, but let it cool to room temperature. Cover the casserole and store it in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before baking.
When you’re ready to bake, allow the casserole to sit out for about an hour, to come back up to room temperature, and then bake. You might need to add an additional few minutes to the bake time, since it won’t be warm when it goes in the oven.
How Long Do You Bake Breakfast Casseroles?
This Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake recipe takes 40 minutes in the oven! The Sausage and gravy are prepared ahead, which takes an extra 10-12 minutes.
Can You Swap Out or Leave Out the Sausage?
You can easily leave out the sausage in this recipe, or you could sub in bacon, or even ground beef if you prefer.
You could even use a vegetarian sausage substitute, if you don’t eat meat!
Enjoy This Easy Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake!Print
Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake is the perfect easy brunch, feeds a crowd, and is delicious Southern comfort cooking!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8- count) can jumbo refrigerated biscuits
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup Borden® Cheese Thick Cut Shreds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 11×7 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add in the sausage and cook until crumbly and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet and place in a bowl. Set aside. Drain the grease form the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and melt the butter in the same skillet. Whisk in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes, constantly whisking.
- Slowly add the milk, salt and pepper while constantly whisking. Bring mixture to a boil and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, until the gravy thickens slightly. Add the sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Divide the biscuits in half lengthwise. Place 8 halves in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the sausage gravy, half of the cheese, and half of the green onions. Repeat the process.
- Bake 40 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Serve warm
Store airtight in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: sausage, biscuits, gravy, breakfast, brunch, casserole