Scarecrow Bars are the perfect Fall treats! These Scarecrow Bars are chewy, sweet, and totally festive.
Apparently there is a hurricane coming. Sandy. And as I sit here and type, I am listening to the weather channel people get all “Doppler-y”. I think they are far too excited about the prospect that I might not have power for a week. Far. Too. Excited.
We were told to prepare for power outages for 7-10 days. So I am basically dying, because that means I will have no internets…and between you and me, a life without the internets isn’t a future I can handle.
I mean, I need food and stuff too, but mostly the internets. Yeah, I said it.
So I am hoping that all these weather people, standing on the beach in their raincoats and boots “braving the weather” are all wrong.
Luckily though, I made some treats to get me through. And they are totally relevant this week where the weather is trying to ruin my kid’s Halloween because they include Candy Corn.
Honestly in this case, you can’t even taste the Candy Corn…they just add an element of sweetness and cuteness, so don’t fear all you crazy candy corn haters., you’ll like these. I promise.
Sorry I just said Candy Corn 17 times. candycorncandycorncandycorn.
Anyway, these are Scarecrow Bars. Yum.
How to make Scarecrow Bars
It all starts with a cake mix…
Mix that with some butter and an egg and you have a delicious crust…
While you are baking your crust go ahead and get all your other things ready.
Once the crust is done you’ll need to move fast.
First crush some Rice Chex…
You’ll also need some marshmallows, candy corn and Honey Roasted Peanuts.
In a sauce pan melt some sugar and corn syrup together and mix in some peanut butter too…
Your crust should be about done at this point..remove it from the oven and sprinkle some marshmallows all over it.
Bake that for 1-2 minutes, just long enough for the marshmallows to puff.
While your marshmallows are puffing, stir your candy corn, Chex and peanuts into the peanut butter mixture…
Immediately spoon this on your puffed marshmallows…
Let them cool and then cut into squares.
Keep your fingers crossed for me that Sandy doesn’t kick my butt!!Print
These Scarecrow Bars are easy to make and the perfect Halloween treat for your next celebration!
- 1 (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 cup crushed Rice Chex
- 2 cups Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 1 cup candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray
- In your stand mixer, combine cake mix, egg and butter. Stir on medium-low speed until a thick batter comes together. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges of the crust are lightly browned.
- While crust is baking make your topping. In a medium saucepan combine corn syrup and both sugars, heating over medium until is starts to boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter. Return back to stove top on the lowest setting until the crust is done baking. You don’t want to continue cooking the peanut butter mixture, you just want to keep it warm.
- As soon as crust is done, sprinkle with marshmallows and put back in the oven for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows puff. Remove immediately.
- While the marshmallows are puffing mix your peanuts, Rice Chex and Candy Corn into the peanut butter mixture. Stir until coated evenly.
- Immediately spread this over the marshmallows as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
adapted from Land O Lakes
Keywords: scarecrow bars, halloween bar recipe, easy bar dessert recipe, halloween food ideas, halloween treats