This Chipotle Pulled Pork with Apple Slaw is perfect for making ahead! It’s got the just-right amount of spice….full of flavor but not too spicy!
Well, here we are again.
Which means I have been lighting pumpkin scented candles and making apple foods all while wearing shorts and a Tshirt.
And with the fall-ish season comes crock-pot recipes, tailgating food and harvest festiveness.
Gotta love it.
So I got to thinking about how I could combine tailgating/easy party food with fall-ish stuff. And I came up with this Slow Cooker Chipotle Pulled Pork Recipe with a Sweet and Spicy Apple Slaw on top. You can make the whole thing ahead and then eat it when you’re ready.
Plus it’s delicious. Everyone wins.
Making pulled pork in the slow cooker is basically the easiest meal ever. I am not a huge BBQ sauce person. Ugh, I know. But I do love me a good dry rub.
I made a super easy one with just a few ingredients and I rubbed it on over my pork shoulder…
You can use use bone-in or boneless. I happened to use bone-in because that’s what my supermarket had.
Just pop that in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours on high or 8-ish hours on low. When the pork easily shreds you’ll know it’s done.
I made a quick sauce to go on my pork. It’s light but super flavorful.
I used TABASCO Chipotle PepperSsauce…because I stinkin’ love this stuff. It’s got a smoky flavor without being ridiculously spicy.
I drained my pork and then shredded it with a wooden spoon.
The poured the quick sauce I made over top.
I stirred it together and put it on “Warm” in my slow cooker to stay until I was ready to serve. That’s why this is perfect for tailgating!
While my pork was cooking I wanted to whip up an easy cole slaw. The only way to eat pulled pork, in my opinion is with a delicious slaw on top.
And I really thought the smokiness of the TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce would go great with apples. Plus, like we talked about, it’s fall-ish outside and apples are everywhere..especially up here in the NY/NJ area!
So apple-slaw it is.
I made a quick sauce for the slaw with Greek Yogurt and some more of the Chipotle Sauce (plus a few other things) and poured that on top of my cole slaw mix and diced apples. Just stir and cover until you’re ready to use it…again..perfect for tailgating.
And honestly, the longer you let this sit, the better!
When you’re ready to go, just make your sandwich and top your pork with the delicious slaw…
And murder that pulled pork like a BOSS.
- 3-4 pound boneless pork shoulder
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 14 oz cole slaw mix
- 2 apples, small diced
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to season
- Combine all dry rub ingredients together in a bowl. Place pork shoulder on a cutting board and coat with dry rub.
- Place pork in slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Pork is done when it easily falls apart.
- When pork is done, prepare Chipotle BBQ sauce by combining ketchup, Worcestershire, vinegar, honey and TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce in a bowl.
- Drain fat from pork and place back in slow cooker to shred with a fork or wooden spoon. Pour BBQ sauce over pork and stir to combine. Turn slow cooker to warm and cover until ready to serve.
- While pork is cooking prepare cole slaw. This can be made hours in advance.
- In large bowl combine prepared slaw and diced apples. In a separate bowl mix together yogurt, vinegar, TABASCO Chipotle Pepper Sauce, honey, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Pour this over the slaw/apple mixture. Stir to coat completely. Cover slaw and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve pork on rolls topped with a heaping scoop of cole slaw.
* I was compensated by TABASCO for this post, but all opinions are expressly my own.