Last week we said goodbye to winter.
I know Old-Man-Winter was kind to us this year, but I was still glad to see homeboy go.
And as much as I really love summer, what I love more is air conditioning.
I like the idea of being able to to go out and do things in the warm weather, but I LOVE the idea of coming back into my house that will be cool. I am severely allergic to sweating indoors. I think that’s why the gym and I have always tried to avoid each other.
So with summer just around the corner I decided to give you a treat guaranteed to not help you at all with your swimsuit situation.
I’m not a good friend. I get it.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mousse Bomb
Let’s get started.
People will think you’re super fancy serving them these cute little treats. I mean any dessert with the word “mousse” in it seems fancy to me. It must be the extra “s”.
But this mousse is so totally not fancy. It’s like, really ridiculously easy.
Mix some softened cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until it’s smooth, then fold in some Cool Whip.
Now, since were getting all chocolate chippy today you might want to chop up some chocolate chip cookies and fold them into your fancy mousse.
So look what you have…
Let this stuff chill for a bit. Stick it in the fridge and go do some laundry. No? Read a book? A magazine? Facebook? Whatever.
Now, fear not, but some assembly is required here.
You’ll need some more cookies, a small scooper and some melted chocolate.
Place your cookies on a flat surface…
…and using the scooper, blob a scoop of the mousse on top, gently pressing so the mousse sticks to the cookie. Make sure you press it down so it sticks to the cookie, this will make a huge difference when you go to dip.
Then dip the mousse into melted chocolate, covering completely. The process is similar to making Hi Hat Cupcakes.
Please, friends, don’t worry if it’s not pretty. I get loads of emails asking “how to make your melted chocolate smooth”. Well, it involves shortening and a lot of tapping. If you don’t have patience for all the tapping, I say garnish. Yep, just garnish the heck of out of it.
Enter mini chocolate chips.
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 25 Chocolate Chip Cookies, approx (I used Chips Ahoy), 10 cookies chopped for mousse, 15 cookies for assembly
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- optional ~ mini chocolate chips for garnish
- With your mixer combine softened cream cheese and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip.
- When Cool Whip is incorporated, gently fold in 10 chopped Chocolate Chip cookies.
- Chill Cream Cheese mixture for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- When ready to assemble, melt semi sweet chocolate chips with 1 Tbsp of vegetable shortening in microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir, repeat until chocolate is melted.
- Lay 15 remaining cookies out on a flat surface.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, or cookie scoop, scoop approx ¼ cup of mousse onto top of each cookie (pressing mousse gently into the cookie to help it stick), dipping each into the chocolate before moving onto the next. Transfer to a wire rack. Continue until you run out of mousse. Approximately 15 cookies.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips, if desired and transfer back into the refrigerator to set, approx 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator when ready to serve.