Chocolate Crunch Cookies are thick, brownie-like cookies loaded with caramelized krispies and chopped Crunch Bars!
Can we just talk about how Halloween should NEVER be on a Monday? It’s cruel and unusual punishment to all the kids (and parents of kids) out there. The sugar crash, the late bedtime, the residual glitter that will be stuck to your face for days to come…
So today….the day after Halloween…when the rest of the world is hungover on sugar, I urge you to make cookies. A little “hair of the dog” is the only way you can get through this Tuesday. It’s really the only answer.
These are soft, thick, brownie-like cookies. Which happen to be the perfect vehicle for most add-ins.
And what I did here is pretty flipping fantastic. I wanted to make a cookie that was kinda-sorta like a Nestle Crunch Bar. So I decided to wanted to include Rice Krispie cereal in the cookie…but I have done this on other occasions and the texture of the cereal changed a bit when it’s baked. So to prevent that this go-round, I “sautéed” them in a little butter and sugar…to make them crunchy and sweet!
And I have to say that I had a hard time keeping my hands out of this stuff once it was cooled. It might be my new favorite ice cream topping!
I used cocoa powder to make the cookies chocolaty….
And I found these crazy Nestle Crunch Baking Bits at the store…I was so excited to use them!
But I will tell you, since they might not be easy to find, you can 100% use a box of “Buncha Crunch” OR some chopped Nestlé Crunch Bars!
The dough is absolutely fantastic.
Just scoop and bake!
They bake up like a dream…
Thick, chocolaty and filled with sweet crispy bits!
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups rice krispie cereal
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups Nestle "Buncha Crunch" or chopped Nestle Crunch Bars
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat melt the butter and sugar together, stirring frequently. Add the cereal and salt and stir to coat. Continue stirring often, until the cereal is an amber color, 5 - 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a parchment lined counter or baking sheet to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter cubes until it's smooth, about 1 minute. Add in both sugars and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of your bowl as necessary.
- Next add in the cocoa powder until evenly mixed.
- With the mixer still on medium add in the eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt and mix for 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl making sure everything is incorporated.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in your "Buncha Crunch" or chopped Crunch Bars, and Caramelized Krispies until incorporated.
- Using a large (3 tablespoon) cookie scoop drop the dough onto the prepared cookies sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are set. Centers might seem under-cooked, this is ok.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*This post contains a few amazon affiliate links