A Chipwich CAKE! The classic Ice Cream Truck treat turned into a dessert to feed a crowd!
I’m caught somewhere in between summer and fall. Like it’s still pretty warm out, so it feels like summer, but my kids are back in school…football is on tv…and Pumpkin Spice is everywhere.
So forgive me with today’s cake. It’s pretty summery in every way. Like summer to the “umpth” degree. Do people still say “umpth”?
Anyhow, I have a friend who loves the Chipwich. The only place you can seem to find them up where I live is from the Ice Cream Man. I’m not sure why, it’s a pretty stellar ice cream option.
Anyhow, since I’m a bit of a chocolate chip cookie snob I usually make my own cookie ice cream sandwiches…and that’s all well and good…BUT I had an epiphany one day a few weeks ago. WHAT ABOUT A GIANT COOKIE CHIPWICH CAKE?
I mean right?
Doesn’t your mind think about things like this?
Just say yes.
Well, of course it was the best idea ever. It worked like perfection and the end result was a gorgeous giant cookie ice cream cake.
Let’s discuss the hows…
First step, cookie dough. I tweaked the recipe a little to make the perfect amount for a 9″ springform pan. You’re just going to need to divide the dough in half and bake one cookie at a time.
When the first cookie is done, let it cool a bit and then remove it from the pan so you can bake the other half of the dough.
WHen the second cookie is done and cooled completely leave it in the springform pan.
Top it with an entire half-gallon of vanilla ice cream, and then carefully place the other baked cookie on top…
Place that whole situation back in the freezer until the ice cream sets up. This will take a few hours.
THEN, remove the sides of the springform pan and press mini chocolate chips into the ice cream…
And then slice it up.
I feel like this is the best idea I’ve had in a while.Print
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup mini chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Spray a 9″ springform pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add in the egg, yolk, vanilla, baking soda and salt mixing for 1 minute until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl, as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in the 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough in half and press half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake this for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden and center is just set.
- Allow the cookie to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and using a spatula carefully transfer the cookie to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Clean the pan, spray again with nonstick spray and repeat the baking process with the remaining dough, however when the second cookie is done leave it in the pan and allow it to cool there.
- When the second cookie is cooled remove your ice cream from the freezer and allow it to thaw slightly so it’s spreadable.
- Place all the ice cream on top of the cookie in the pan and spread it evenly using an off-set spatula.
- Place the other cookie on top and press down slightly so it’s even.
- Cover your pan with aluminum foil and place it in the freezer for at least 2 hours so the ice cream refreezes.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, remove the sides of the pan and press the mini chocolate chips into the ice cream.
- Slice and serve.
store for up to a month, airtight in the freezer.